Event organisers said owing to a shortfall in the budget, official World Pride events set to take place in Soho have also been cancelled. The ‘family area’ in Soho will proceed independently.
Celebrations in Trafalgar Square are expected to proceed, however, but with changes to the original programme. The procession will start at an earlier time of 11am instead of the scheduled 1pm kick-off.
The announcement comes just one day after World Pride rebuffed rumours that the event was at risk of cancellation, saying the parade would take place as planned.
The Evening Standard reported on Tuesday (26 June) that the event was allegedly under threat after four contractors were not paid for work they did last year and could pull out of this year’s celebrations.
Following a meeting at City Hall yesterday (27 June), Pride London said its commercial targets this year were extremely high and fundraising has been "more challenging than ever".
"Despite creating a strong sponsorship base for this year's planned event, there is, in the week leading up to 7 July, still a shortfall," it said.
Worldpride takes place at least once every five years in a different city worldwide. The last one was held in Jerusalem in 2006 and the next one will be in Toronto in 2014.
Comment below to let us know what you think.
For more in-depth and print-only features, showcases and interviews with world-leading brands, don't miss the next issue of Event magazine by subscribing here.