With so many different systems to choose from, it is important to
be clear about exactly what is expected of the system. Finding the
answers to the following questions will help point the way.
- Will it be assembled in-house?
If the stand is to be put up by the supplier, the mechanics of how it
goes together are less important than how it looks. If it is to be
assembled in-house, consideration should be given to how many different
components are required, how easy it is to assemble and whether one
person can do the job. Weight, durability and speed of assembly are also
- What is the range of stand sizes that this equipment will need to
If your stand size changes by small increments, make sure that the
system is flexible enough to cope with this. Some of the easiest systems
to erect are available only in preset standard unit sizes. If you want
to use height on your stand, make sure the system can take it - you
should be able to go up to 6m high if you wish.
- Will the equipment be needed for other purposes between
This may affect the purchasing criteria.
- Will the stand need to have structural strength to support
Some systems are designed as graphics carriers and have little
- What features and facilities do I need on my stand?
Make a checklist of everything you need and make sure the system can
provide it. A full range of accessories and design features, including
lighting, will enable you to have a very individual stand, with all the
AV and PC equipment you need.
- Will I need to change the stand message frequently?
Is it easy to change graphics? At what cost? Can I use the stand without
- How portable are the stand units?
If the equipment has to go into the boot of a car, this will be a major
- Where will I store the equipment?
If storage space is an issue either the system must be of the 'pack
flat' or 'fold-up' variety - or look for a supplier which can offer a
- Do I need full exhibition support?
Some systems suppliers offer full exhibition service support, from stand
build-up and break-down to ordering carpet, electrics and building
- Will I be exhibiting overseas?
To ensure a trouble-free build-up, select a supplier who is experienced
in working abroad and familiar with the working practices of where you
will be travelling.
- Will I get good after sales service?
By-return spare parts service, telephone support, on-site rep visits and
product guarantees are some of the things to look for.