My Event World - Ben Woolf

Ben Woolf, head of creative brand experience at RPM, joined the agency in November 2012 and has worked with a number of brands including Breitling, Cadbury, Coca-Cola, Diageo, Ericsson, Samsung, Sky and Sony. He talked to Event about his work on the Sky Skills Studio, why he loves the pace of the event industry and why celery is a painful topic for him.

Head of creative brand experience at RPM, Ben Woolf
Head of creative brand experience at RPM, Ben Woolf

I got into the event industry because I love the pace at which the industry operates and ideas can be realised. My father was an architect and I have grown up with a deep appreciation of buildings and spaces, but I could never be one as the creative vision is only 5% of the process, the other 95% is the detail and delivery. It’s often months or years before you see the results of your efforts, but with my projects it can be weeks or days.

I have worked here since 2012, having come from running my own agency, Mustard-UK.

I was attracted to this particular role because it was a chance to work with some really inspiring people. It’s an old cliché, but you are never too old to learn, and I have learnt a huge amount during my time with RPM. As an agency we are blessed with great clients, so that was also a big draw. Our projects are diverse; one week we could be working on a sampling campaign for Cadbury’s, the next launching a new store for Breitling with David Beckham and John Travolta.

Not many people know that I have a degree in engineering. While I’m a great believer in creative expression, I am also fascinated by function and detail.

The best event I’ve been involved in was Sky Skills Studio. We were asked by Sky to develop an educational experience for eight to 18 year-olds where children and young people could experience creating their own news report in a bespoke set of four studios. We did a great deal of research for the project, interviewing teachers and consulting educational specialists to ensure that what we were delivering was not only exciting, but also adhered to strict educational guidelines. The project has been so successful that we are currently building another facility in Scotland so we can reach more children and young people.

If I could do it all over again I would be working for Dyson or Apple designing cool vacuum cleaners or gadgets.

The one thing I can't stand is celery, it gives me a headache.

Outside of work I spend my time by the banks of the Thames at Craven Cottage watching Fulham or chasing my two daughters around Climbers and Creepers at Kew Gardens.

If money were no object I would buy a townhouse in Knightsbridge, a chalet in the Alps, a log cabin in Norway, and a vineyard in South America and divide my time between them.

If I could switch places with anyone else in the industry it would be Fiona Leahy. If you haven’t seen her stuff you should check it out, it’s achingly beautiful.

If I ruled the event industry I would… it’s a pretty vain proposition, and I don’t think there is, or will ever be, but a Karl Lagerfeld of the event industry.

Want to be featured in a future My Event World?  Email news editor Samantha Edwards for further details.

For more in-depth and print-only features, showcases and interviews with world-leading brands, don't miss the next issue of Event magazine by subscribing here.


Have your say

Only registered users may comment. Sign in now or register for free.

Follow us

Latest Event Jobs